USTP 9/5: Brown Pelican

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2008
      Greetings Mendobirders- I went out to the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant
      this morning and saw a juv BROWN PELICAN on the south pond. This is only
      the second one I remember seeing in Ukiah. The other was the injured bird
      on Lake Mendocino several years ago. This bird appeared fine, but it going
      to have to eat an awful lot of Gambusia to make a living out there! The
      water on the north pond has pulled back into very small puddles on the east
      and west ends. However, there is pretty good habitat on the middle pond
      presently although it is pretty weedy. I saw the usual shorebirds as well
      as a juv PECTORAL SANDPIPER, a WILSON'S SNIPE, and a single RED-NECKED
      PHALAROPE. Lots of passerines are moving along the Russian River now. I
      counted at least 6 WILLOW FLYCATCHERS and lots of warblers, including a
      "celata"-type ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482