Eurasian Collared Doves

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
      A smallish flock has been seen feeding at bird feeders on West Street in Fort Bragg. The residents are private folk, but I witnessed several flying east and circling back west from and to that direction yesterday morning.

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
        A Solitary Sandpiper just visited our little backyard pond (about 20
        feet across) on Middle Ridge, Albion. Bobbed his head a few hundred
        times, hopped around on the rocks, grabbed a few bugs, fluttered a bit,
        then flew off toward the southeast.

        Tim
      • bruceg2661
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 10:40 PM
          I watched five Eurasian Collared Doves here in Laytonville valley this evening at 6:15 pm feeding in a horse pasture with 8-10 California quial and a small flock of Brewer's black birds. I was able to watch them for about 10 minutes before they were "spooked" along with the quail and blackbirds by some one coming out of a house to tend the horses. The location was/is 44700 Tolen Ave. Access is west at the Laytonville Auto Parts store, across from the Cheveron station in Downtown Laytonville. Take the second left just past a large two storie building. Then, it's the second house on the right. Yesterday 4/30 I saw what I thought was a Collered dove fly over hwy 101 approx. 4 miles south of Laytonville at the Shamrock Ranch. (Where the Elk hang out on the east side of the hwy)But was unable to make a good ID.

          Bruce Gullett, Laytonville, Ca.
          (707)-489-6443
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2010
            Sunday Sept 12, 2010 - A juvenile SOLITARY SANDPIPER visited the little
            pond just outside our living-room window this morning around 10. It
            stayed a few minutes, just long enough to snap a few photos, before
            winging off to the south. This bird's back was brownish-grey, with
            white edges to most of the feathers, making it look quite different from
            the dark grey bird pictured in Sibley's. Feathers were clean, sharp,
            and bright, like a brand-new bird.

            I reported a SOSA at the same location two years ago on Sept 5.

            Cheers,
            Tim Bray
            Middle Ridge, Albion
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
              Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
              Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
              talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
              you might have a difficult time matching it up.
            • Jim Lomax
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
                That might be because it is a Pectoral Sandpiper.

                Jim Lomax

                On Sep 15, 2010, at 6:32 PM, AlbionWood wrote:

                > Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
                > Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
                > talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
                > you might have a difficult time matching it up.

              • jarlyus
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
                  4/5/11
                  I guess these ever-more-common doves don't know that they are non-native and thus unprotected.
                  I have at least two pairs nearby that coo-COO-coo loudly and incessantly starting at about 5 AM every morning.
                  At least starlings and House Sparrows are smart enough to stay quiet that time of day.
                  I seem to not hear the more pleasant calls of Mourning Doves so much any more. I wonder if there is a connection.

                  Jim Armstrong
                  SE Potter Valley
                • Tim Liguori
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
                    FYI - we've had well over 20 show up the last two summers and now thru the winter. But this winter, red-shouldered hawks are showing up for a hardy meal.
                    And I'm seeing more around town this year.

                    Perhaps the RS hawks are increasing to help with the balance?

                    Regards,

                    Tim Liguori
                    Fairfield, CA
                    Blackberry'd from Tim Liguori