Lake Mendocino 8/22

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2008
      Friday afternoon, 8/22, at Lake Mendocino there was a sizable flock,
      50+, of Caspian Terns. Still in breeding plumage and quite squawky
      when flying, the birds were on the southern end of the lake and
      resting on some of the new sandbars to the south of the boat launch
      area and just east of the dam.
      Also of dramatic interest. for a minute, was a Peregrine Falcon* in
      full attack mode in mid lake pursuing with several stoops and fly-
      overs some small bird on the water.

      * My eyes said this was a Prairie Falcon as it seemed brown colored
      but I didn't have binoculars with me in the boat and I was wearing
      brown polaroid glasses so my brain has decided to call it a
      Peregrine. I would be interested to hear if anyone thinks a Prairie
      Falcon might also perform such a pursuit of a bird resting on the
      water and far from shore.

      Vishnu