Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant (MEN), 8/18/08

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2008
      Hi Birders. After seeing Chuck Vaughn's report on the Ukiah Sewage Ponds yesterday, I decided to pay a visit today. I was impressed by the numbers of Shorebirds: I think there were more there today than I have ever seen there before. The continuing juvenile Baird's Sandpiper and a juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs among six adult Greater Yellowlegs were highlites. I was also struck by the number of migrant Passerines. There were quite a few Yellow Warblers along the river, as well as a couple of Black-throated Gray Warblers, the continuing Willow Flycatcher (a new county bird for me), a Cedar Waxwing, several Lazuli Buntings, a Cassin's Vireo and a Warbling Vireo.

      The best bird was one that got away: I heard what I'm pretty sure was a Red-eyed Vireo singing along the river, but I was never able to glimpse it to confirm. It sang a weaker variant of the typical "here-I-am...over-here...look-up...in-the-tree" song but that's about what I'd expect for a migrant in mid-August. It was along the river between the southern and middle ponds, next to a locked gate. I also had very distant views of a bird that may have been the American Bittern that was seen earlier this summer. I couldn't refind it to confirm, though.
      Good birding,
      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley, MEN

      A complete list for the location follows: