USTP 2/24

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 11:10 AM
      Greetings Mendobirders: I was out at the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant this
      am, and this week's rains have put some serious water in the south
      pond. Nothing earth-shattering, but there were a good variety of ducks for
      our area: Mallard, Green-winged Teal (75+), Northern Pintail, Northern
      Shoveler, Cinnamon Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Bufflehead, and Ruddy
      Ducks. There were several Violet-green Swallows among the hundreds of Tree
      Swallows exploring tree holes along the Russian River. Last night's
      Peregrine Audubon Chapter
      owling trip into Montgomery Woods was eventful. We had a pair of either
      Spotted or Barred Owls answering tapes with some very peculiar
      calls. Matthew Matthiessen, George Chaniot, and Roger Foote plan to get
      back in there some evening this week to try to confirm just exactly what we
      were hearing. If you interested in helping out, you might want to contact
      one of them. We had a nice close Northern Saw-whet Owl on a side trip up
      Low Gap on our way home.

      Regards, Chuck Vaughn

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn