Red Knot at Virgin Creek Beach, MEN

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 8:58 PM
      Hi Birders. After a very nice day on the ocean off Ft Bragg, Mendocino County with Shearwater Journeys, I stopped by Virgin Creek Beach, just north of Ft Bragg. The most uncommon shorebird I found was an adult RED KNOT. Also present were six juvenile Least Sandpipers, one juvenile Western Sandpiper, five adult Semipalmated Plovers, one Snowy Plover, twenty six adult Black-bellied Plovers in various stages of molt, twelve Sanderlings mostly in basic plumage, four adult Whimbrels and three adult Marbled Godwits. No sign of the Semipalmated Sandpiper found there yesterday afternoon by Jerry White. I also ran into Mike and Sally Parmeter, who independently found the Knot. Good birding,

      Matt Brady