Least Bittern, Lake County

  • dhecomovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2008
      This afternoon just before 5 pm I made my way to the Rodman Slough area
      where Rob Fowler spotted the Least Bittern last Sunday that was
      subsequently seen by Nick Shepherd, Michael Stanley and George
      Chaniot.I watched from the mound of large rocks for a half hour before
      the Least Bittern emerged from the tules across the channel pretty much
      just opposite the rocks. It stayed along the tule edge for 15 minutes
      and then melted back into the tules.

      As Rob Fowler indicated, Rodman Slough is along the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff
      at the nortern end of Clear Lake. Take the main path from the parking
      area at Rodman Slough, walk south to the first picnic bench, then turn
      left to take the path to the water's edge.