Re: Least Bittern - Lake County

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2008
      Mon, 04 Aug 2008, 07:43-08:43 -- The shank o'the morning. I decided to
      move on the LEAST BITTERN report quickly since I have missed seeing them
      at Kelsey Creek in the past. I walked out from the Rodman Slough parking
      lot to the picnic tables, down to the rocks, and across the planks where I
      stationed myself to watch the tules to the south. At 08:06 I saw a Least
      Bittern fly into the tules just about where they disappear from sight. A
      few minutes later a Green Heron flew the same path giving a nice
      comparison of size and pattern. Ten minutes later the Least Bittern flew
      back east across the mouth of the slough and into the tip of the tules on
      the east side. About ten minutes later it flew back west across the water
      and landed in sight for about 30 seconds. Finally about ten minutes
      later again it flew east into the tip of the tules. This habit of flying
      back and forth across the water made it a pretty easy find. The harsh
      E-SE light made it hard for me to resolve the age question. This would be
      a nice place to prowl around in a canoe. Thanks Rob and Mike.
      On the return trip I stopped by Reclamation Road where there was an
      American Bittern (Great Bittern) sitting in the open in a damp field
      - making it a six-heron morning.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA