Re: Least Bittern - Lake County

  • catowhee
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 9:30 PM
      Nick Shepherd and I followed up on Rob Fowler's report of a Least
      Bittern at Rodman Slough. In a hour and a half of watching, starting
      at about 6:30 pm on Sunday, August 3, we were able to briefly view the
      bird three separate times, twice when it was flushed by a passing
      fishing boat. We endured the constant whining of an Osprey from the
      nest near the parking lot while we were able to watch a Green Heron
      working the shallows on the far side of the slough. Since neither of
      us was familiar with the bittern, I was somewhat concerned about
      distinguishing it from the similarly colored, but much larger, Green
      Heron. But with the heron fresh in our minds, the diminutive size and
      orange-brown sides made the identification relatively easy. In the
      slanting evening sun, the bird appeared to flash gold as it flew away
      from us across the water.

      Thanks, Rob, for posting your find and for your excellent directions.

      Mike Stanley
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4 11:01 AM
        Mon, 04 Aug 2008, 07:43-08:43 -- The shank o'the morning. I decided to
        move on the LEAST BITTERN report quickly since I have missed seeing them
        at Kelsey Creek in the past. I walked out from the Rodman Slough parking
        lot to the picnic tables, down to the rocks, and across the planks where I
        stationed myself to watch the tules to the south. At 08:06 I saw a Least
        Bittern fly into the tules just about where they disappear from sight. A
        few minutes later a Green Heron flew the same path giving a nice
        comparison of size and pattern. Ten minutes later the Least Bittern flew
        back east across the mouth of the slough and into the tip of the tules on
        the east side. About ten minutes later it flew back west across the water
        and landed in sight for about 30 seconds. Finally about ten minutes
        later again it flew east into the tip of the tules. This habit of flying
        back and forth across the water made it a pretty easy find. The harsh
        E-SE light made it hard for me to resolve the age question. This would be
        a nice place to prowl around in a canoe. Thanks Rob and Mike.
        On the return trip I stopped by Reclamation Road where there was an
        American Bittern (Great Bittern) sitting in the open in a damp field
        - making it a six-heron morning.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA