Lake County- Least Bittern

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2008
      Congratulations to Rob Fowler on his sighting of Least Bittern at Rodman Slough. That is the 9th (official) record for the county, the 6th Fall record. There are records of other juvenile birds. I suspect breeding occurs every year? Just very difficult to detect these rather secretive birds.

      They at one time were probably more regular in the county as oldtime local fisherman mention seeing these "small bitterns".

      I found an adult bird up the (Rodman) slough along a levee exactly 20 years before Rob's sighting, on August 2nd 1988.

      Mendocino County awaits its first record. Jerry White