Least Bittern, Lake Co.

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2008
      Hi all,
      Yesterday, on my way to the Central Valley, I stopped at Rodman Slough along
      the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff at the northern end of Clear Lake. My highlight was
      surprisingly a juvenile LEAST BITTERN seen flying from a very small patch of
      tules to a larger patch of tules. To get to the spot where I saw this bird
      take the main path from the parking area at Rodman Slough and walk south to
      the first picnic bench and then walk the path to the waters edge.There's a
      bunch of large rocks right here to scope from. I went back to my truck to
      get my scope, went back to the spot, and got KILLER looks at the bird as it
      briefly came out into the open to forage. Of course, there's no guarantee on
      refinding this bird!

      I know Least Bitterns have been reported from Clear Lake in the past (it's
      been quite awhile) but I don't remember hearing about them at Rodman Slough;
      nor have I heard of them being confirmed as breeders in the county. What
      does Jerry White say?

      Location: Rodman Slough--Nice Lucerne Cutoff
      Observation date: 8/2/08
      Notes: I stopped off at Rodman Slough to go for a quick walk to stretch
      out. Was a great surprise getting DECENT looks at a Least Bittern, only the
      2nd I've seen in N. Cali!
      Number of species: 35

      Wood Duck - Aix sponsa 1
      Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos 15
      Pied-billed Grebe - Podilymbus podiceps 5
      Western Grebe - Aechmophorus occidentalis 150
      Clark's Grebe - Aechmophorus clarkii 2
      Western/Clark's Grebe - Aechmophorus occidentalis/clarkii 200
      Numerous birds too far out to id.
      American White Pelican - Pelecanus erythrorhynchos 1
      Double-crested Cormorant - Phalacrocorax auritus 1
      Least Bittern - Ixobrychus exilis 1 One juvenile bird first seen
      flying from a small tule patch to another slighlty larger tule patch. The
      bird looked to be a juv. based on the strong, evident streaking on the
      underparts. I then went back to my truck to get my scope and got a couple of
      brief looks of the bird while it foraged in the little patch of tules it was
      in! I know they've been found at Kelsey Creek before but I'm not sure I've
      heard of them being here at Rodman Slough.
      Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias 1
      Great Egret - Ardea alba 2
      Black-crowned Night-Heron - Nycticorax nycticorax 1
      Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura 1
      Osprey - Pandion haliaetus 3
      Virginia Rail - Rallus limicola 1
      American Coot - Fulica americana 20
      Nuttall's Woodpecker - Picoides nuttallii 1
      Western Wood-Pewee - Contopus sordidulus 1
      Black Phoebe - Sayornis nigricans 6
      Western Kingbird - Tyrannus verticalis 15
      Western Scrub-Jay - Aphelocoma californica 3
      American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos 2
      Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor 2000 Huge flock of Tree Swallows
      roosting in tules about .50 mile away.
      Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica 75
      Oak Titmouse - Baeolophus inornatus 2
      Bewick's Wren - Thryomanes bewickii 1
      Yellow Warbler - Dendroica petechia 1
      Common Yellowthroat - Geothlypis trichas 1
      California Towhee - Pipilo crissalis 1
      Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia 2
      Black-headed Grosbeak - Pheucticus melanocephalus 4
      Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus 2
      Yellow-headed Blackbird - Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus 15
      House Finch - Carpodacus mexicanus 2
      Lesser Goldfinch - Carduelis psaltria 6

      Good birding!

      Rob Fowler