continuing GTGrackle

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2008
      25 July 2008 - Friday 1:00 PM - Today I refound (after searching
      several times) the female Great-tailed Grackle and single begging
      fledged young as found a few days ago off of University Road,
      Hopland.. They were on the same private pond as found before ...but
      about 100 yards away from the original sighting. If anyone really
      needs to chase this bird, call me to organize a search as this is
      private property. The weekend will probably have human activity on
      the pond...thus reducing the chances of finding them. Chances of
      seeing these birds from the University Road are poor.

      Purple Martins (6+) are still hanging around the thick-diameter power
      pole near the end of the long straight stretch on University road
      ....this pole is just east of the double gray metal gate posts on the
      south side of the road. The birds seem to go to roost early, or are
      away foraging and return quickly to enter the roost cavities in the
      pole, as we have zero luck finding these birds in the late
      afternoon/early evening.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer 707-744-1160 eves.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road