continuing LEOW

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2008
      Wednesday - 23 July 2008 - Roger Foote & I visited the Long-eared Owl site on University Road in hopes of photos. At 8:50 PM what appeared to be four owls began to move around the "roost pocket". A minimal amount of begging calls were heard ...no where near how they vocalized a week ago. I watched two of them perched for a short while, but by about 9:00 they were all in the air over the canyon twisting and turning and interacting with each other in the air. They have definitely become masters of the air as compared to their clumsy flying a week ago. Soon they were flying over the road and over the small chaparral pocket above the road. Occasionally they would disappear over the ridge to the NE and then reappear over the brush patch. By 9:15 they had disappeared, I suspect going over the hill to an area that has been fenced from grazing for 50+ years ...it is loaded with meadow mice. The young are definitely foraging on their own now. Roger & I each positively saw four birds at one time ...and I thought that I heard a fifth. I think they will continue to come back to the wooded draw for roosting... at least for a while more. At least two Western Screech Owls also called. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2009
        16 January 2009 - Friday - at least one of the UC-HREC Long-eared
        Owls is continuing to roost in the same bushy pepperwood tree as discovered in.
        This is not near the University Road (county road) so arrangements
        would have to be made with me to see this bird. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road