LEOW & Purple Martins

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2008
      Wednesday - 23 July 2008 - I was able to locate the roosting
      Long-eared Owls along University Road this morning. However, they
      are extremely flighty and provided NO chance of photographs despite
      my attempt to be extremely quiet and stealthy in my search. I saw
      three birds but could not tell if they were adults or immatures. I
      recommend that folks do NOT pursue them at their roosts. I abandoned
      the effort as I did not want to spook them from the area or subject
      them to harassment by jays, etc. I can tell you this ..... they are
      still VERY near the normal large pullout that folks have been using
      (the one with the posted No Trespassing sign) ... and future
      listening and viewing from this pullout site, or from the short
      little grassy ridge to the west (careful, as there is an abrupt drop
      off) should be excellent. I suspect the evening show will again
      happen around the 9:00 PM range ....arrive a little earlier if you
      hope to view these guys in the few minutes of daylight as they just
      leave their roosts.

      Along the entrance straight stretch of University Road, just east of
      the big overhanging Walnut tree, look for a very thick power pole on
      the right hand side (south) of the road. there were 8 Purple Martins
      there checking out holes and the top of the pole ....I am assuming
      for roosting purposes. Several of these were immatures. There is
      also one cavity being used by acorn woodpeckers.

      NEGATIVE report for the Great-tailed Grackles, the female and begging
      immature, found nearby two days ago. I have not been able to
      relocate these birds.

      Lots of birds are migrating south (assumed) right now as I see
      constant turnover of birds in this area.... so keep an eye out for
      rarities like Eastern Kingbirds, Stilt Sandpipers, Semipalmated
      Sandpipers, Bank Swallows, etc. Good birding. Bob Keiffer.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road