Central CA Seabirding

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2008
      Hello, Seabirders, CA County Birders, Whale Watchers, and Ocean Lovers,

      Shearwater Journey's pelagic season is about to jump into full swing
      with our late summer and early fall boat trips from Monterey, Santa
      Cruz, Sausalito, Bodega Bay, and Fort Bragg. There is something for
      everyone on these trips, with lots of great birding on land in
      between boat trip days. Our trips from Monterey's Fishermans' Wharf
      have been running since 1976! This year, we return with trips from
      Santa Cruz on the north side of Monterey Bay. In past years, these
      trips were extremely productive. Santa Cruz is a bit easier to reach
      for folks coming from Silicon Valley, San Francisco and the Bay Area.

      MONTEREY PELAGIC TRIPS with spaces available:
      JULY 25
      AUGUST 15, 22, 29
      SEPTEMBER 7 (limited number of spaces), 12, 14, 15, 22, 25, 27, 28

      ALBACORE TRIPS FROM MONTEREY: (5:30 am - 5:30 pm)
      SEPTEMBER 13
      OCTOBER 5

      FROM SANTA CRUZ (city on the north side of Monterey Bay):
      SEPTEMBER 26
      OCTOBER 12

      BODEGA BAY TO THE BODEGA CANYON & CORDELL BANK:
      AUGUST 1, 12
      SEPTEMBER 19
      OCTOBER 9, 17

      FORT BRAGG:
      AUGUST 8, 10

      SAUSALITO TO THE FARALLON ISLANDS:
      AUGUST 10 SOLD OUT (sorry)

      Note that some really nice land/sea birding combinations are possible
      � August 8 Fort Bragg pelagic, August 9 birding on land in the area,
      August 10 Fort Bragg pelagic, August 11 birding Highway 1 south to
      Bodega Bay, August 12 Bodega Bay pelagic trip. This land/sea
      combination is excellent for both the out of state birders, who can
      benefit from the locals, but also for those CA county birders who are
      looking to add new species to their county lists. With many birders
      out in the field, something unusual is bound to be discovered! One
      year, in Fort Bragg, it was a Yellow Wagtail, another it was Bar-
      tailed Godwit! Excellent birding in both the Fort Bragg area and
      Bodega Bay make this a very attractive outing. Last year, we found
      whales on every single Shearwater Journeys' trip! I expect the same
      this year, however, I think we have an excellent chance for Blue
      Whales this year. Krill is abundant. Northern alcids � Horned Puffins
      and Ancient Murrelets have been observed recently, as well as the
      southern nesting Xantus's Murrelets. Its about time that we nailed
      down a Least Auklet! The offshore report from researchers is that 100
      + Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels and Xantus's Murrelets were out at the
      Cordell Bank recently!

      For reservations, please contact Debra Shearwater at the information
      below. Please note that it will only be possible to contact Debra by
      email during the August 7 through August 11 period. Hope to see you
      out there!!

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter