Long-eared Owl continues

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2008
      Tuesday - 15 July 2008 - The Long-eared Owls continue along
      University Road east of Hopland. Refer to earlier posts for
      directions. Vishnu heard and saw 3-4 owls starting at 9:00 PM. The
      fledged birds were still calling when I joined Vishnu at around 10:15
      PM. Vishnu also heard different, barking type calls a couple of
      times ...possibly an adult bird. Again, the birds tend to roam up
      and down the wooded draw canyon ...but seem to be resident there for
      the time being. We think the adults forage away from this canyon and
      the fledged young are constantly calling in hopes of a parent
      returning to them with a meal. Western Screech Owls were again heard
      and a Barn Owl screeched as it flew over the area. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road