Nectar feeders

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2008
      My last stop on the coast today, (5:45-7:00) pm) before returning to
      the inland heat & smoke, was at Navarro State Beach. It proved to be
      very interesting and very birdy. Not the Beach but along the road as
      you drive in. The big attraction were the Blue Gum Eucalyptus on both
      sides of the conspicuous old white house (which seems to be in a slow
      process of restoration). The trees to the east of the house are old
      and very tall and are part of a grove. Although many birds were
      foraging there in the high canopy the height of the trees made seeing
      them more problematic. There are 2 Eucalypts, however, just to the
      west of the house that appear to be re-sprouts of old larger trees
      cut down years ago. These two "trees" are now quite sizable in their
      own right and are at the peak of their bloom.* I observed 9 different
      species sipping nectar from the abundant flowers on these trees.
      (Admittedly some birds could have been after insects stuck in the
      nectar wells, but I couldn't see that.)

      The 9 species I observed dipping their heads into the flowers were:
      Anna's & Allen's Hummingbirds (more than I've ever seen in nature,
      except perhaps in some mountain meadows.)
      Downey & Hairy Woodpeckers
      Wrentits
      Chestnut-backed Chickadees
      Black-headed Grosbeaks
      Orange-crowned Warbler
      Stellar's Jay

      There were also a number of Swainson's Thushes singing loudly and, at
      times, quite visible but I didn't see any of them on the flowers.
      The area has a riparian feel as there are also Alder & Willow
      thickets and unless it was just my imagination there appeared to be a
      certain zippiness to everyone's behavior that begged the description,
      "sugar high".
      The road to Navarro State Beach is a west turn from Hwy. 1 just to
      the south of the bridge crossing the Navarro River. The white house
      mentioned is the first structure you'll come to after about 1/3 mile.

      *Blue Gum Eucalyptus are well know winter bloomers in northern CA &
      the Bay Area (Dec./Jan.). Perhaps these are experiencing a second
      bloom? Anyone know?

      Vishnu