Lake Mendocino

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
      Wed, 09 Jul 2008 -- I did a survey of the Lake Mendocino on Wednesday.
      There was little of note except a few returning migrants: an adult
      RING-BILLED GULL and two adult CALIFORNIA GULLS at the south marina, and two
      adult LEAST SANDPIPERS at Pomo A.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
        Fri, 27 Feb 2009 -- I got out to the lake between rains today. The water
        level has gone up to an elevation of 721.2' from a low of 711.4' on the
        10th, but the water is turbid and there is a fair amount of floating debris.
        Bird numbers are down except for widgeon, scaup, and gulls. TREE SWALLOWS
        were cruising about everywhere, and I saw one VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW.
        There was a group of gulls on the mud near the south ramp with birds
        streaming to and from Ukiah. Among the California and Ring-billed Gulls was
        a first winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL and a 1st winter bird which I take to be
        a THAYER'S GULL but on the very pale side. [ smaller than Glaucous-winged,
        larger than California, bill relatively small, bill all black, wing coverts
        neatly speckled, secondaries slightly darker than coverts in flight,
        primaries cafe au lait and finely edged with light color.] Others may want
        to take a look at this bird.
        Last night Comet Lulin was visible with binoculars in Leo. Tonight, if
        it stays clear, it should be visible very close to Regulus, the brightest
        star in Leo.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        Western Grebe 3
        Clark's Grebe 1
        Western/Clark's Grebe 132
        Canada Goose 88
        Cackling Goose 9
        Mallard 138
        Northern Shoveler 1
        American Wigeon 91
        Greater Scaup 5
        scaup sp 259 most apparently Greater
        Bufflehead 3
        Common Merganser 2
        Ruddy Duck 6
        Bald Eagle 1 adult
        American Coot 200
        Killdeer 1
        Ring-billed Gull 33
        California Gull 107
        Thayer's Gull? 1 pale 1st winter
        Herring Gull 1 adult
        Glaucous-winged Gull 1 1st winter
      • Bob Keiffer
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 19, 2009
          18 April 2009 - Saturday - With the weather warming there was lots of human activity on the lake ...skiers, kayakers, fishermen, etc. by late morning. However, I was able to spot a mature and immature BALD EAGLE on the east side, along with a single BONAPARTE'S GULL. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
            Thu, 28 Jul 2011 -- This morning I covered Lake Mendocino and peered into
            every corner - at least telescopically. The water level is up to the inlet
            road and the Oak Grove parking lot, but thankfully the lake is not
            overfilled like last summer. I found no shorebird habitat anywhere, but
            there might be some deep in Hunter's Cove or Perry Cove. Canada Geese and
            Western/Clark's Grebes predominate. Of summer interest were two BONAPARTE'S
            GULLS in the south half and one HERRING GULL in the north half.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            Western Grebe 15
            Clark's Grebe 12
            Aechmophorus sp. 61
            Great Egret 1
            Canada Goose 195
            Mallard 24
            Common Merganser 6
            Osprey 2
            Bonaparte's Gull 2
            Herring Gull 1
            Belted Kingfisher 1
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
              Mon, 05 Sep 2011 -- This afternoon there were two FORSTER'S TERNS flying
              around Lake Mendocino and diving into the waters. They circulated around
              the north half of the lake and could probably be seen from any good vantage
              point. I saw them from the Mesa Day-Use Area. Not much else was present due
              to the high degree of boat activity.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 11, 2011
                Fri, 11 Nov 2011 -- I did a complete survey of Lake Mendocino today.
                Western/Clake's Grebes topped the list with about 622 birds. American Coots
                were next with 353, and there was an unusual number of Double-crested
                Cormorants, 182. Of particular interest was a first-winter THAYER'S GULL at
                the south marina, a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE and a SNOW GOOSE at the Oak
                Grove Parking Lot, and some COMMON GOLDENEYES near the boat-in campground.
                On the return trip to Potter Valley I found, alas, a roadkilled
                RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW along Potter Valley Road.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 17, 2014
                  Mon, 11 Aug 2014 -- At the north end of Lake Mendocino more mudflats are
                  opening up as the lake level drops. This morning there was a flock of about
                  130 shorebirds - mostly Western Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers and two
                  WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA