USTP 7/11: American Bittern

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2008
      Greetings Mendobirders: I visited the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant early
      this morning. The bird of the morning was easily an AMERICAN BITTERN
      juvenile which I spotted flying S along the Russian River. It crossed the
      oxidation ponds and lit in the Typha on the S edge of the sludge pond (aka
      "the bubbler"). Other new birds out there included a GREATER YELLOWLEGS
      and about 25 peeps, mostly LEAST but also several WESTERN
      SANDPIPERS. There were also single WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES. A
      PEREGRINE FALCON made several stoops, terrorizing the sandpipers. The
      summering male RING-NECKED DUCK, which has never totally molted into
      alternate plumage, and female BUFFLEHEAD continue. There was a cool, fresh
      south breeze and the smoke was visibly thinning as I was there. It would
      not be difficult to imagine we were at the Salton Sea these past couple of
      days!

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482