LE Owl

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2008
      Hi All,

      Yesterday, July 9, after a PRBO bird-a-thon meeting (hope you are all
      organizing your county teams now for this great fun fund raiser) in Petaluma
      I headed north for the Long-eared Owls near Hopland. It was 112 in Hopland
      when I arrived. Using the excellent directions provided by Bob Keiffer on
      July 5 and nice details provided by Dave Quady on July 8 I easily found the
      spot. At 9:01 PM the temperature was down to a "cooler" 93 and the first
      call of a young Long-eared Owl came out of the canyon. It (and/or others)
      were constant until 9:10. At 9:08 I heard a Screech Owl. It and at least 3
      other Screech Owls were calling from both sides of the road until I left. At
      9:12 a silent Barn Owl flew over the canyon and landed in a tree for nice
      looks. At 9:15 I briefly saw a Long-eared Owl fly up the canyon. There were
      occasional LE Owl begging calls down (west) the canyon until I left at 9:25.
      Back in Hopland at 9:30 a cold snap had hit and it was 80.

      John Luther
      Oakland