American Dippers

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2002
      You might notice the plural in the Subject. Yesterday (Monday) at
      about 3:30, I watched two Dippers dipping (no Partridge) at the
      location of their (?) first nest of last year on the old Potter
      Valley bridge (see George's post of 1/21). This is on the north or
      upstream side of the bridge on the west column with a great viewing
      site by the little gulch on the east bank. They were working on the
      same ledge where they had a complete nest with two or three young
      last year before it blew, or was knocked, off. A subsequent nest was
      located further under and higher on the same column and resulted (we
      think) in a second family.
      Yesterday they alternated bringing mossy material to the ledge, but
      hadn't made much of a structure yet; they greet one another with a
      series of dips. At each dip, a white eyelid or membrane covers their
      eyes.
      The water is still so murky, it is hard to believe they are feeding
      on the aquatic insects they rely on later.
      Check 'em out.
      Jim Armstrong