Long-eared Owl

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
      Tuesday - 1 July 2008 - Chuck Vaughn & I met with several other
      birders to pursue the Long-eared Owl that I posted on Monday. We
      arrived at the site shortly after 9:00 PM. Even before I had the
      caller equipment set up, at around 9:15 PM, two Long-eared Owls flew
      out from the hardwood grove and flew about over the open grassy
      field, sometimes flying overhead. One of the owls lighted in a dead
      oak for about one minute ....one could see short ear tufts through
      binoculars. I believe that this was an immature bird ...but I cannot
      be sure. We never did hear them vocalize, but they put on quite a
      display for a couple of minutes. Later a Barn Owl flew over the same
      grassy field ...it had much faster wingbeats than the LEOWs ...and of
      course was very light on the underneath side as compared to the
      LEOWs. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      arena." Theodore Roosevelt

    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2008
        Friday - 4 July 2008 - The family of Long-eared Owls discovered at the UC-Hopland Research & Extension Center has now moved about a half-mile from the original site. This is good news to those who wish to pursue this species as the new site is right along University Road ...which is a county road with access to everyone. For the last two nights the family group of three or four fledged young plus at least one adult has been at this location. To get there, go to Hopland on Hwy 101, then east on Hwy 175 to a small community called "Old Hopland" (there is no sign). As you pass through this little community you will reach a round-a-bout on Highway 175 ...head north onto Old River Road. Go about 200 yards and University Road will be on your right (east side). Follow University Road ....you will pass irrigated pasture on your left and vineyard on your right, then cross a cattleguard and pass an old barn on your left. Continue on University Road as you begin to climb a fairly steep grade. As you climb the grade the road makes a sharp turn to the right, then makes another jog-turn to the right, and then you will see a large pullout on your right. At this point you are almost at the top of the grade climb. Below this pullout, which is to the south, is a small pocket canyon of thick oaks, pepperwoods, etc. BE THERE AT DUSK, by 9:00 PM, and listen quietly for the juvenile calls, a high pitched, single note "eeeeckkk" (identical to the Cornell juv. long-eared owl recording). Last night all of the juveniles were very vocal, and could be seen flying through the trees occasionally. We were able to get one good look at a perched bird. One adult was there for a while but then flew to the north and away, I presume to hunt for nightime snacks to bring back to the young. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
          13 January 2009 - Tuesday - Chuck Vaughn & I checked on the
          Long-eared Owls this morning and only found one bird in the
          pepperwood roost tree. Why both birds were not there today I cannot
          explain as they seemed quite settled in yesterday as I left them. The
          bird today was much more scittish than yesterday and flushed as I
          attempted to get a good photo. I will try to monitor the tree from a
          distance in the future. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          arena." Theodore Roosevelt

        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25, 2010
            Wed, 25 Aug 2010 -- I was awakened at 03:30 this morning by what sounded
            like a group of geese calling in the moonlight. I went out on the deck to
            listen and instead I heard a LONG-EARED OWL calling about 150 yards away.
            It called four times in 15 minutes, or about once every five minutes. This
            was my third encounter here in 31 years. I never did figure out the goose
            thing - maybe a very distant group of coyotes yapping.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA
          • Robert Keiffer
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
              21 November 2012 - This morning, while awake but still in bed (Feliz Creek Road, one mile west of Hopland), I was surprised by the typical long hoot calls of a LONG-EARED OWL. At first I was thinking Northern Saw-whet Owl or vehicle backup alarm, but careful listening clarified the monotonous long-low hoots of the long-eared owl. The calling started at 5:17 AM and stopped abruptly at 5:20 AM. The nighttime rains had stopped and the skies were filled with stars at the time ...soon to be covered by thick fog. I could not pinpoint the exact location, but I believe it was coming from an oak-covered small ridge with many7 grassy openings about 1/8 mile away.

              Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

              [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
              Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
              4070 University Rd.