White-throated Sparrow

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2008
      Saturday - 28 June 2008 - This afternoon I had a White-throated Sparrow feeding out in the open in our chicken pen ...an area frequesnted by Golden-crowned Sparrows and an occasional White-throated Sparrow during their normal wintering season. This fellow seemed to have difficulty flying, which is most probably why he is still here. Other than that it seems quite healthy and very skittish ....run/fluttering to the nearby brush pile in a big hurry. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2008
        21 October 2008 - The darker rufous coloring in the wings caught my
        eye on a bird in my brush pile located in my chicken pen. Alas, a
        bit of "pishing" resulted in a better look at the first fall arrival
        (in my yard) of a nice adult White-throated Sparrow at my home in
        Hopland. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        arena." Theodore Roosevelt

      • Becky Stenberg
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2008
          I have a wts here in Glen Blair also. Glad I read the digest and
          looked it up so I could quit being baffled by the odd-looking
          White-crowned Sparrow with the Song Sparrowish face! So I guess I
          shouldn't pay so much attention to the range maps? ;oP

          Becky Stenberg
          Glen Blair
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
            Mon Oct 3, 2011-- Has my first Fall/Winter WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at my feeders today at 2:15PM.

            Richard Hubacek
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 30, 2011
              This morning a White-throated Sparrow showed up at my feeders. This is the 1st one in a long time for me. I hope it sticks around. I have been hearing of high numbers of them south of us at peoples' feeders this year.

              Dave Bengston
              Ukiah
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 18, 2012
                I had my first of winter White-throated Sparrow at my feeder today. A very bright adult with 2 yellow headlights.

                Dave Bengston
                Ukiah
              • Ron LeValley
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 21 11:06 AM

                  Hello birders,

                  As of today, April 21, there is still a White-throated Sparrow at our feeders in Little River. Seems late, and it is molting into breeding plumage.

                  Ron LeValley

                  Little River