Mendo Headlands Tufted Puffin

  • rha632
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2008
      We spent about 5 hours over the last three days scoping the islands off
      the Mendo Headlands and enjoyed many views of the various sea birds.
      However, this morning between 7 and 7:30 am in light fog and smoke we
      were treated to good views of one of the Tufted Puffins flying and
      briefly standing on the cliffs. We did not see it go to a burrow.
      After flying around the area for several minutes it headad northwest in
      a line out to sea around 7:25. It was just off-shore near the
      northwest corner of the Mendo Headlands. We had the best view of the
      sea bird colony by walking north from the northwest parking area on
      Heeser. Thanks to Dave J. and Cheryl W. for previous reports.
      Roger and Grete Adamson, Davis
    • John Lace
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
        Hi Birders,
        I was camped at the Kate Wolf music festival along Ten Mile Creek just
        north of Laytonville. There were a few birders among the several
        thousand gentle tie-dyed folks. The highlight for me was a Phainopepla
        pair. It seems a bit west of their range in the Central Valley
        foothills. 25 species all together, common stuff.

        John Lace
        Grass Valley, CA