Re: Tufted Puffin remains in Mendocino

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23 6:26 PM
      Monday June 23, 2008

      Geoff and I scoped the northern burrows of the seabird colony off
      Heeser Drive in Mendocino early this afternoon and were fortunate to
      see two TUFTED PUFFINS. Both birds were perched near the top of the
      rock when we arrived. Each flew off and returned separately, then
      departed together about fifteen minutes later.

      Cheryl Watson
      Ukiah, CA

      --- In Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com, "David Jensen" <djensen@...> wrote:

      > Sunday, June 15, 2008: At 11:00 this morning I saw the TUFTED
      PUFFIN fly to the seabird colony at the northwest end of Heeser Drive
      in Mendocino. With its large orange bill and bright orange feet, it
      is easy to distinguish from the crowd of black and white Common
      Murres and larger black Brandt's Cormorants that share the island.
      The bird flew into a burrow that was obscured from sight and remained
      in there during the 45 minutes I watched. The cormorants are still
      actively engaged in nest building. Two notes of interest: unlike
      other years, most of the birds are nesting on the dirt and vegetation
      covered island east of the traditional larger bare rock colony that
      lies to the most northwest. This new colony is much easier to observe
      from the headlands. Two smaller groups of Murres remain on the
      original colony. Also, if you proceed to the end of the spur that
      runs north from the parking area, you can easily view many burrows on
      the side of the closer, more active colony. I believe that the Puffin
      disappeared into one of these burrows.