weird nocturnal noise in tree

  • J Rosen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2008
      Last night, a good couple of hours after dark, I heard something that seemed to be coming from the eaves above my back deck, but by the time I turned on the outside light, it had relocated to somewhere up in a nearby tree. Weird as in, I couldn't even characterize it as specifically vocal or a wingbeat kind of noise: it was low in pitch, wavery and fluttery, in discrete bursts of a few seconds with a slightly longer interval between them. The sound couldn't translate easily into a word phrase like some bird calls do.
      I know this is ambiguous and a long shot, but maybe somebody reading this will know exactly what it is?
      thanks all.

      Janet Rosen
      Zanshin Art
      "When I feed the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor are hungry they call me a communist" - Helder Camara

    • Jeffrey Osier-Mixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
        I'm afraid I can't help with identification, but believe I heard the
        same thing last night andalso saw the bird with which it was
        associated. This was very near dusk with just a bit of light in the sky
        and I only saw it from underneath. It appeared to be about the size of
        a barn swallow, but its wings seemed narrower. It made that call in our
        forest for quite a while after dark.

        Hope this helps!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
          We have a winner! At least for me. I believe what I saw was a Common
          Nighthawk, evidenced by the wings (which I only saw in silhouette) but
          confirmed by the call. A recording exists on the wikipedia page for
          that bird:

          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Nighthawk>

          Janet, I would highly recommend playing the song from the wikipedia page
          to see if it matches what you heard.

          Also, sorry I forgot to mention my location. I'm about 4 miles inland
          near Mendocino on the south side of Big River.
        • J Rosen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
            Thank you to the many folks who replied.
            I'm glad Jeffrey id'd his nighthawks. What I heard was not that; nor was it quite like the adult screechies I'd heard some months ago - but it has been suggested it might be fledgling screech owl.