Amer Bittern, Shorebirds, Tri-colors & Cal Towhee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2008

       Thurs, 19 June 2008 -- In the past few days, I have seen several interesting
       sightings on the coast. Monday, 6/16, a Long-billed Dowitcher was near the
       Ten  Mile Rvr bridge.  Today, 6/19, I saw an American Bittern at Lk Cleone.
       I would  not have seen it, but it lifted up and moved a few feet at the edge of
       the large,  area of reeds at the east end of the lake.  Also 6/19, I had a Willit,
       still in  alternate plumage, on Ten Mile beach. (There are NO Snowy Plovers
      on the the beaches of MacKerricher SP at present).

       I have been searching (and seeing) for some Tri-colored Blackbirds.  Today,
       6/19, I finally was able to observe a closed area near where I live.  There were
       at least 3 adult males, and one juvenile with a presumed female TCBL.  Details
       will be provided to George Chaniot for his survey.

       And lastly, the California Towhee at Ocean Meadows/Ten Mile area, is still
       here.  He stopped singing about ten days ago.  Now, he gives his "chink"
       call all day long.  He is lonely!

       Karen Havlena
       Ten Mile area
       North of Fort Bragg, CA