New Tricolored Blackbird Colony

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      Thu, 1 May 2008 -- Thanks to a visiting birder, Gary Deghi, from Half
      Moon Bay for calling my attention to a TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD colony in
      Potter Valley. The colony is along East(side) Road between Pine
      Avenue and Mid-Mountain Road. Just north of milemarker 4.77 on the
      west side of the road there is a vineyard pond behind an elevated berm
      with cattails along the road and a swath of blackberries along the
      south side. The birds can be observed easily at close range from the
      road, but there is very little room to pull off. Look for a narrow
      pullout by mailbox 10707.
      The tricolors are nesting in the blackberries and are probably in
      the fourth week of the breeding cycle. They are beginning to provision
      young - "birds on a mission", and their comings and goings are very
      conspicuous. I haven't made a careful estimate yet, but the numbers
      are probably in the 400-600 range. This may be the same group that
      nested several years ago on West(side) Road in a similar situation,
      but where the blackberries have been killed with herbicides.
      I'm am embarrased to say that I looked this new site over several
      times in the last four weeks specifically looking for tricolors, but I
      overlooked the conspicuous.
      I should add that I checked the Lake County site on Lyons Creek on
      27 Apr. and found a colony that I estimated at about 620. This is on
      Whalen Road just beyond the Juvenile Detention Center and just inside
      the white gate of the Lake County Sanitation District on the left-hand
      side in cattails. With the window rolled down you can't miss them.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley,MEN,CA