Harris's Sparrow Back

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2002
      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 -- The HARRIS'S SPARROW at Geoff and Cheryl Heinecken's
      feeders, last reported on 24 Dec., reappeared early this morning. Geoff,
      Vishnu, and I saw it again between 9:30 and !0:00. The bird is in winter
      adult plumage. For a moment I had all four Zonotrichia species in my
      binoculars at once! The location is on Fern Canyon Way south of Talmage.
      Geoff & Cheryl's phone number is 462-4289.
      On the way home I checked out Lake Mendocino and saw two
      CANVASBACKS, a SNOWY EGRET, and a COMMON LOON from Pomo A, adding a little
      variety to the low diversity on the lake this winter. Another unusual thing
      at Lake Mendocino this winter is the great predominance of Greater Scaup
      over Lesser Scaup, about 98:2 Usually at this time of year the ratio is
      more like 20:80.
      An AMERICAN DIPPER was also under the old bridge on Potter Valley Road.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, CA