04/20/08 Long-tailed Duck & (Coastal) Western Kingbird

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2008
      Sun, 20 April 08-- The wind stopped blowing, so I ventured down Hwy 1
      for a while this AM. I saw one of the Long-tailed Ducks just north of Pudding
      Creek. Later, during a phone call to Toby Tobkin she said there were two
      LTDU's there. Eight Whimbrels fed on the bluffs, while an additional 7
      Whimbrels worked the beach. The parking lot is located between the
      Beachcomber and Surf & Sand motels.

      I also drove out Bald Hill Rd, east of Hwy 1 and north of Pudding Ck.
      A Western Kingbird perched on a fence wire by the cattle fields. During my
      call to Toby, she stated that only 1 or 2 WEKI's are seen each Spring
      and Fall by her on the coast, while many can be found in the inland valleys
      and open, oak woodland habitats.

      Maybe it will stop by Ocean Meadows. I need it for a yard bird!

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA