4/ 17 USTP Semipalmated Sandpiper

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2008
      Greetings Mendobirders- I made a brief, but fruitful, visit to the
      Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant early this morning. The middle pond is
      being drained and there is lots of exposed mud. It seems that some
      birds are starting to move in and out of there. Six days ago I saw 7
      GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 1 LEAST SANDPIPER. This morning there were no
      Yellowlegs, and 8 Least Sandpipers. They were accompanied by a
      SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER that was mostly molted into breeding
      plumage. That is the first I have ever seen out there in the
      spring. The ducks were quite flighty and it was difficult to get
      looks at all of them. However, there were at least 2 BLUE-WINGED
      TEAL females. Two of the group of wintering EARED GREBES remain, and
      they are growing their yellow ears. A few YELLOW WARBLERS are
      already singing along the river. Cheap thrills!!

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...