Wed, 2 April '08- Coastal Calliope Hummingbird

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008
      Wed, 2 April 2008- A female Calliope Hummingbird visited here late
      this afternoon in the yard at Ocean Meadows Circle- Ten Mile area,
      north of Fort Bragg and the Ten Mile River.
      I watched her feed at some electric blue, low-growing plants for a
      couple of minutes. Then, a female Allen's/selasphorus hummer
      came up and challenged the Calliope. Both spread their tails,
      and I could see the Calliope's tail well, as she was facing away.
      There was little, or no, rufous visible at the basal halves of the
      retrices (it was not apparent). A really neat addition to the yard
      list.
      Karen Havlena
      Ocean Meadows/Ten Mile Area