Re: [Mendobirds] Anna's Hummingbird Deformed Bill?

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
      There's a fungal infection (Fusarium moniliforme) that hummers spread from fuchsia to fuchsia and other prized garden plants. . .this might be it. If not, it looks suspiciously like scaly face mites.

      Also of consideration: candida, caused by either dirty hummingbird feeders or people feeding honey instead of sugar/water mixed to the correct ratio.

      Feather

      richhubie <richhubie@...> wrote:
      Wed 2, April 2008--I need some opinions on a Anna's Hummingbird
      picture I just posted. Obviously there's a problem with the bill. I've
      done some searching of the internet and can find no definitive answer
      as to the cause. Things that are mentioned are Avian Pox,
      knemidocoptes mites, bacterial infection, and hopefully, "sticky
      nectar and pollen".

      The hummingbird seems to be healthy and currently is the alpha male.
      I'm getting more hummingbirds (Anna's, Allen's and Rufous)at my feeder
      then usual. The Anna's that wintered here didn't have this problem.
      Any ideas?

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River