New arrivals, and a Siskin question

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Recent arrivals on Middle Ridge, Albion, elevation 400 ft, 3/4 mile east
      of Highway 1:
      March 30: First 3008 sighting of a Violet-Green Swallow, checking out
      potential nest sites in a dead redwood snag.
      March 28: First 2008 sighting of (male) American Goldfinch on thistle sock.
      March 30: After disappearing for over a week, the Acorn Woodpeckers are
      back.
      April 1: Eurasian Collared Dove in front yard.

      In the last week or so we have had a big influx of Allen's Hummingbirds,
      perhaps two dozen or so around the house. Males are displaying
      everywhere. No Rufous yet.

      Now for the question: Janet in Anchor Bay reported Pine Siskins arriving
      on March 27 - but we have had a small flock of PS here pretty much all
      winter. Are they generally resident here, or was this unusual? They
      seem to have mostly moved on recently. We had a Purple (?) Finch as
      well, around the same date, but it didn't stay.

      Cheers,
      Tim