Glaucous Gull

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
      Thu, 27 Mar 2008 -- Joanne Haller and I birded the north coast
      Thursday from Ten Mile River to Navarro River. It was a beautiful,
      clear day with an onshore wind, but not very birdy. The most
      interesting bird we found was a 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL sitting with
      a group of Western Gulls on the beach by the parking lot at Laguna Point.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • birdmanofthewoods
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2011
        I would rate my gull identification skills as mediocre at best, but if you want to see a sub-adult glaucous gull, it is pretty obvious at McKerricker parking lot. Good spotting by Toby. I completely mis-identificed the bird when I first saw it a couple of days back as a weird glaucous-winged gull as it seems to be mixed in with all the glaucous-winged gulls out there at the moment.

        Anyway, if you feel a need to stare at gulls for a minute or two, the glaucous gull is hanging along the shore at the Laguna Point parking lot. Look for the really BIG gull. Even I could pick it out. Thanks Toby.

        Also seen: single juvinile male white winged scoter that is also hard to miss and has been hanging around McKerricker.

        Rick