Pine Siskins arrived yesterday

  • jackson_us
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2008
      For Bob, the date is 3/27!

      Yesterday a huge group of Pine Siskins arrived. At one point over
      thirty of them were clinging to our thistle feeder. Another visitor
      arrived to join the noisy party - a male Purple Finch.

      Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
        Recent arrivals on Middle Ridge, Albion, elevation 400 ft, 3/4 mile east
        of Highway 1:
        March 30: First 3008 sighting of a Violet-Green Swallow, checking out
        potential nest sites in a dead redwood snag.
        March 28: First 2008 sighting of (male) American Goldfinch on thistle sock.
        March 30: After disappearing for over a week, the Acorn Woodpeckers are
        back.
        April 1: Eurasian Collared Dove in front yard.

        In the last week or so we have had a big influx of Allen's Hummingbirds,
        perhaps two dozen or so around the house. Males are displaying
        everywhere. No Rufous yet.

        Now for the question: Janet in Anchor Bay reported Pine Siskins arriving
        on March 27 - but we have had a small flock of PS here pretty much all
        winter. Are they generally resident here, or was this unusual? They
        seem to have mostly moved on recently. We had a Purple (?) Finch as
        well, around the same date, but it didn't stay.

        Cheers,
        Tim