Purple (?) Finch

  • Becky Stenberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2008
      Yesterday I had a new bird at my seed feeder, which sent me scurrying for the binoculars. I definitely have not seen one of these guys here before, the bright red would be impossible to miss. His mate was here with him. I am familiar with House Finches, though they don't come around our house. I used my Thayer birding program to try to be sure of his identity, and concluded that I would not be able to distinguish a Purple Finch from a Cassin's Finch, so I'm going with the Purple on the basis of likely habitat. (I'm at a low elevation, creekside, mixed conifers at the edge of a small orchard) Anybody have any suggestions?

      Our Band-tailed Pigeons have recently returned, I counted 11 yesterday. In summertime we have had as many as 30.

      Becky Stenberg
      Glen Blair