RE: [Mendobirds] Long-eared Owls

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14 11:34 AM
      John, Mendocino County has a nesting record near Lake Mendocino,
      and a nesting record within 100" of the Lake/Mendocino county line
      (Lake County side) at the UC Hopland Research & Extension
      Center. That pair nested in an abandoned gray squirrel, crow, or
      cooper's hawk nest in the top of a Pacific Madrone tree in a
      madrone/black oak thicket. The mate would roost nearby, within a
      100' of the nest, but was very wary and flighty when the area was
      approached. There was a nearby open meadow amongst the nearby
      chaparral habitat. I saw several fresh rodents that were (assumed)
      accidently dropped from the nest by adults or young ....and they were
      all microtus. 3000' elevation.

      I suspect that I had a female calling in early spring, making weird
      barking-type calls, near my house near Hopland ....mixed Oak
      Woodland habitat ....I saw silhouette but never had a great look at it.

      We have a road kill specimen from just west of HREC on the Old River
      Road ...which is right next to the Russian River ....collected last
      month by Chuck Vaughn. There was an injured bird brought into
      Critter Care from Low Gap Road just west of Ukiah....
      oak/chaparral/open meadow type habitat. There is a road-kill
      Specimen from Hwy 1 near Elk from several years ago.... now in HREC museum.

      Demian Ebert had a pair calling in early spring in the Hull Mountain
      to Covelo area ....I would have to look at the records to tell you
      where. Mendocino National Forest has had responses to surveys east
      of Round Valley/Covelo.

      Anyway...we have other scattered observations (or birds heard) from
      throughout the county ....no real rhyme or reason yet is clear to
      me. I think your impression of breeding near meadow openings is
      correct ...although I question "high elevation" for down here. One
      thing is for certain ...we simply don't know a whole lot about this
      species use in the North Coast.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center