RE: [Mendobirds] Long-eared Owls

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008
      According to Doc's book (Northwestern California Birds, 1996) there are 2
      nesting records for Humboldt, and there is alot of other info to suggest
      they breed in Humboldt regularly, but in very very low numbers. I don't
      know about Mendocino, and would be interested in knowing more about their
      status (and good locations to look/listen for them) in Mendocino. Also,
      are they known (sometimes) in the lowlands in winter in Mendocino, like
      they are in Humboldt? My impression is that they occur in two situations
      around here during the breeding season: oak woodlands and high elevation
      openings.

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
      1655 Heindon Road
      Arcata, CA 95521
      707-822-7201 (phone)
      707-822-8136 (fax)
      John_E_Hunter@...

      <smca@northcoast.
      com>
      Sent by: To
      Mendobirds@yahoog "'katemarianchild'"
      roups.com <katem@...>,
      <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      03/13/2008 02:21
      PM Subject
      RE: [Mendobirds] Long-eared Owls

      I should specifiy that I am not aware of any nesting records in the
      Humboldt
      / n. Mendocino county area. Perhaps there are records from s. Mendocino. If
      so, let's hear about it...

      Sean McAllister

      Eureka

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008
        John, Mendocino County has a nesting record near Lake Mendocino,
        and a nesting record within 100" of the Lake/Mendocino county line
        (Lake County side) at the UC Hopland Research & Extension
        Center. That pair nested in an abandoned gray squirrel, crow, or
        cooper's hawk nest in the top of a Pacific Madrone tree in a
        madrone/black oak thicket. The mate would roost nearby, within a
        100' of the nest, but was very wary and flighty when the area was
        approached. There was a nearby open meadow amongst the nearby
        chaparral habitat. I saw several fresh rodents that were (assumed)
        accidently dropped from the nest by adults or young ....and they were
        all microtus. 3000' elevation.

        I suspect that I had a female calling in early spring, making weird
        barking-type calls, near my house near Hopland ....mixed Oak
        Woodland habitat ....I saw silhouette but never had a great look at it.

        We have a road kill specimen from just west of HREC on the Old River
        Road ...which is right next to the Russian River ....collected last
        month by Chuck Vaughn. There was an injured bird brought into
        Critter Care from Low Gap Road just west of Ukiah....
        oak/chaparral/open meadow type habitat. There is a road-kill
        Specimen from Hwy 1 near Elk from several years ago.... now in HREC museum.

        Demian Ebert had a pair calling in early spring in the Hull Mountain
        to Covelo area ....I would have to look at the records to tell you
        where. Mendocino National Forest has had responses to surveys east
        of Round Valley/Covelo.

        Anyway...we have other scattered observations (or birds heard) from
        throughout the county ....no real rhyme or reason yet is clear to
        me. I think your impression of breeding near meadow openings is
        correct ...although I question "high elevation" for down here. One
        thing is for certain ...we simply don't know a whole lot about this
        species use in the North Coast.

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center