Red-necked Grebe

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2002
      This morning (Sun, Jan 20) Gary and Judy Maddox and I had a RED-NECKED
      GREBE along the north shore of Lake Mendocino. The bird was just off
      shore from the Kyen Campground (between the north boat ramp and the Pomo
      A picnic area). When we first saw the bird it was feeding among some
      Mallards within five feet of shore. It eventally moved a little further
      out but was never further than 100 feet from shore.

      Also in the Kyen Campground was an adult WHITE-THROATED SPARROW. On
      the east side of the lake just south of the Mesa was an adult BALD
      EAGLE.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28 4:01 PM
        Wed, 28 Mar 2012 -- This morning at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant
        there was a RED-NECKED GREBE on the middle pond. This is the first
        occurence that I am aware of. The list can be found here
        <http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/USTP_listv1.html>
        At home in Potter Valley I have had brief views (March 22 and 27) of a
        SLATE-COLORED JUNCO around the yard - but not coming to the feeders.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA