Long-eared Owls

  • katemarianchild
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008
      Sean McAllister wrote me and said there are no records of long-eared
      owls breeding in our area. In response to Sean's post, Rain (whose
      last name is Tenaqiya, not Cascadia as previously reported by me)
      wrote this:

      "The owls were here last Spring, as well, so they probably are
      breeding. It is definitely a pair."

      He said it might be possible to get pictures, as they roost near the
      trunks of trees.

      Kate
    • smca@northcoast.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008
        I should specifiy that I am not aware of any nesting records in the Humboldt
        / n. Mendocino county area. Perhaps there are records from s. Mendocino. If
        so, let's hear about it...

        Sean McAllister

        Eureka

        _____

      • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008
          According to Doc's book (Northwestern California Birds, 1996) there are 2
          nesting records for Humboldt, and there is alot of other info to suggest
          they breed in Humboldt regularly, but in very very low numbers. I don't
          know about Mendocino, and would be interested in knowing more about their
          status (and good locations to look/listen for them) in Mendocino. Also,
          are they known (sometimes) in the lowlands in winter in Mendocino, like
          they are in Humboldt? My impression is that they occur in two situations
          around here during the breeding season: oak woodlands and high elevation
          openings.

          John E. Hunter
          Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
          1655 Heindon Road
          Arcata, CA 95521
          707-822-7201 (phone)
          707-822-8136 (fax)
          John_E_Hunter@...

          <smca@northcoast.
          com>
          Sent by: To
          Mendobirds@yahoog "'katemarianchild'"
          roups.com <katem@...>,
          <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
          cc
          03/13/2008 02:21
          PM Subject
          RE: [Mendobirds] Long-eared Owls

          wrote this:

          "The owls were here last Spring, as well, so they probably are
          breeding. It is definitely a pair."

          He said it might be possible to get pictures, as they roost near the
          trunks of trees.

          Kate

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008
            John, Mendocino County has a nesting record near Lake Mendocino,
            and a nesting record within 100" of the Lake/Mendocino county line
            (Lake County side) at the UC Hopland Research & Extension
            Center. That pair nested in an abandoned gray squirrel, crow, or
            cooper's hawk nest in the top of a Pacific Madrone tree in a
            madrone/black oak thicket. The mate would roost nearby, within a
            100' of the nest, but was very wary and flighty when the area was
            approached. There was a nearby open meadow amongst the nearby
            chaparral habitat. I saw several fresh rodents that were (assumed)
            accidently dropped from the nest by adults or young ....and they were
            all microtus. 3000' elevation.

            I suspect that I had a female calling in early spring, making weird
            barking-type calls, near my house near Hopland ....mixed Oak
            Woodland habitat ....I saw silhouette but never had a great look at it.

            We have a road kill specimen from just west of HREC on the Old River
            Road ...which is right next to the Russian River ....collected last
            month by Chuck Vaughn. There was an injured bird brought into
            Critter Care from Low Gap Road just west of Ukiah....
            oak/chaparral/open meadow type habitat. There is a road-kill
            Specimen from Hwy 1 near Elk from several years ago.... now in HREC museum.

            Demian Ebert had a pair calling in early spring in the Hull Mountain
            to Covelo area ....I would have to look at the records to tell you
            where. Mendocino National Forest has had responses to surveys east
            of Round Valley/Covelo.

            Anyway...we have other scattered observations (or birds heard) from
            throughout the county ....no real rhyme or reason yet is clear to
            me. I think your impression of breeding near meadow openings is
            correct ...although I question "high elevation" for down here. One
            thing is for certain ...we simply don't know a whole lot about this
            species use in the North Coast.

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center