Long-eared Owls

  • katemarianchild
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10 10:48 PM
      Greetings.

      Rain Cascadia, a good birder who lives in the Heartland (a sparsely
      populated 800-acre expanse of oak woodland and fir forest several
      miles west of Parducci Winery), recently determined that the owls he
      was hearing at night were Long-eared Owls.

      Here are his words: "I finally figured out what the hooting is in the
      fir forest near my place. They aren't spotted owls, but long-eared
      owls, an owl rare where I grew up. The pair was right at our trailer
      last night, hooting and wing-slapping (making a cracking sound),
      characteristic during the breeding season (otherwise they are quiet).
      These owls look like really skinny great-horned owls, though they are
      more closely related to short-eared owls, a meadow and marsh species."

      I contacted Rain and he suggested that I come up at dusk to hear them,
      since that's when the most activity usually is. So I went up this
      evening with Marigold and Krissa Klein. Rain and his wife Zephyr
      weren't there, so we waited on the road by their house. Krissa was the
      first to hear an owl, a single hoot, and then, suddenly, two owls flew
      near us, perhaps 70 feet from where we stood. They swooped around in
      the vicinity for about 5 minutes, flying about 20 feet over our heads
      at one point. Very exciting!

      It was dusk but not dark yet, and we were able to see their
      silhouettes quite well. I was able to follow one and then the other
      with my binoculars for several seconds at a time. I haven't seen many
      owls in flight, but was struck by the bluntness of the front of the
      head. Marigold and Krissa, who are more familiar with owls than I am,
      said these owls seemed about the same size as Barn Owls, perhaps
      slightly smaller, and of course the wrong color. On checking pictures
      and literature after we got home we are pretty sure we saw Long-eared
      Owls. Later we heard a few more single hoots in the distance.

      We also heard two single banging noises in the distance, perhaps half
      an hour after the swooping period, and don't know if that could have
      been the wing clapping ritual. The sound we heard seemed too loud to
      have been made by birds wings, however ... more like distant gun shots.
    • katemarianchild
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13 1:55 PM
        Sean McAllister wrote me and said there are no records of long-eared
        owls breeding in our area. In response to Sean's post, Rain (whose
        last name is Tenaqiya, not Cascadia as previously reported by me)
        wrote this:

        "The owls were here last Spring, as well, so they probably are
        breeding. It is definitely a pair."

        He said it might be possible to get pictures, as they roost near the
        trunks of trees.

        Kate
      • smca@northcoast.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13 2:21 PM
          I should specifiy that I am not aware of any nesting records in the Humboldt
          / n. Mendocino county area. Perhaps there are records from s. Mendocino. If
          so, let's hear about it...

          Sean McAllister

          Eureka

          _____

        • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14 9:30 AM
            According to Doc's book (Northwestern California Birds, 1996) there are 2
            nesting records for Humboldt, and there is alot of other info to suggest
            they breed in Humboldt regularly, but in very very low numbers. I don't
            know about Mendocino, and would be interested in knowing more about their
            status (and good locations to look/listen for them) in Mendocino. Also,
            are they known (sometimes) in the lowlands in winter in Mendocino, like
            they are in Humboldt? My impression is that they occur in two situations
            around here during the breeding season: oak woodlands and high elevation
            openings.

            John E. Hunter
            Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
            1655 Heindon Road
            Arcata, CA 95521
            707-822-7201 (phone)
            707-822-8136 (fax)
            John_E_Hunter@...

            <smca@northcoast.
            com>
            Sent by: To
            Mendobirds@yahoog "'katemarianchild'"
            roups.com <katem@...>,
            <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
            cc
            03/13/2008 02:21
            PM Subject
            RE: [Mendobirds] Long-eared Owls

            wrote this:

            "The owls were here last Spring, as well, so they probably are
            breeding. It is definitely a pair."

            He said it might be possible to get pictures, as they roost near the
            trunks of trees.

            Kate

            these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14 11:34 AM
              John, Mendocino County has a nesting record near Lake Mendocino,
              and a nesting record within 100" of the Lake/Mendocino county line
              (Lake County side) at the UC Hopland Research & Extension
              Center. That pair nested in an abandoned gray squirrel, crow, or
              cooper's hawk nest in the top of a Pacific Madrone tree in a
              madrone/black oak thicket. The mate would roost nearby, within a
              100' of the nest, but was very wary and flighty when the area was
              approached. There was a nearby open meadow amongst the nearby
              chaparral habitat. I saw several fresh rodents that were (assumed)
              accidently dropped from the nest by adults or young ....and they were
              all microtus. 3000' elevation.

              I suspect that I had a female calling in early spring, making weird
              barking-type calls, near my house near Hopland ....mixed Oak
              Woodland habitat ....I saw silhouette but never had a great look at it.

              We have a road kill specimen from just west of HREC on the Old River
              Road ...which is right next to the Russian River ....collected last
              month by Chuck Vaughn. There was an injured bird brought into
              Critter Care from Low Gap Road just west of Ukiah....
              oak/chaparral/open meadow type habitat. There is a road-kill
              Specimen from Hwy 1 near Elk from several years ago.... now in HREC museum.

              Demian Ebert had a pair calling in early spring in the Hull Mountain
              to Covelo area ....I would have to look at the records to tell you
              where. Mendocino National Forest has had responses to surveys east
              of Round Valley/Covelo.

              Anyway...we have other scattered observations (or birds heard) from
              throughout the county ....no real rhyme or reason yet is clear to
              me. I think your impression of breeding near meadow openings is
              correct ...although I question "high elevation" for down here. One
              thing is for certain ...we simply don't know a whole lot about this
              species use in the North Coast.

              Robert J. Keiffer
              Principal Supt. of Agriculture
              UC Hopland Research & Extension Center