More signs of Spring

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2008
      Saw my first Osprey of the season on Tuesday, hunting the cove at Van
      Damme.

      Acorn Woodpeckers returned to the suet block Monday.

      A male Northern Harrier has been hunting the meadow and canyon for the
      last few days.

      Allen's Hummingbirds began showing up at my feeders a couple of weeks
      ago, displacing some of the Anna's that had ruled them all winter. No
      Rufous yet. Numbers seem to be increasing recently and feeder activity
      is way up. Males are doing near-constant display flights.

      Yesterday a large, dark, heavy-bodied raptor flew low over the meadow.
      Not quite sure what it was - only caught a glimpse out the window. Not
      a RTH or RSH, too big for a CH.

      Cheers,
      Tim
      Middle Ridge, Albion
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2008
        Come to think of it we had a flock of perhaps a dozen
        CLIFF SWALLOWS, found by Matt Matthiessen, at Rodman's
        Slough on Saturday the 1st. Jerry White's checklist
        indicates only one winter record--so this was a very
        early flock.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs