Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Mar 6, 2008
      The Peregrine Audubon Society's field trip to Clear
      Lake on Saturday the 1st was well attended (it was
      great meeting all of you!). Several target birds were
      seen despite the paucity of waterbirds.

      Highlights included a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at
      Rodman's Slough, a male RED-BREASTED MERGANSER (but
      amazingly not a single Common Merganser the entire
      day!) at Glenhaven, five YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIES at High
      Valley, and a pair of PHAINOPEPLAS at Austin Park in
      Clearlake.

      We drove along the east shore of the lake from the
      north end to the south end and frequently stopped to
      scan the lake for waterbirds. Amazingly not a single
      WESTERN or CLARK'S GREBE was seen until finally, at
      our last stop, three distant grebes were picked out
      from Redbud Park in Clearlake. I don't recall anybody
      reporting young grebes last year (I didn't see any),
      so this may well be the second consecutive year of
      breeding failure.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs