Misc. birds at USTP 2/15

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2008
      Greetings Mendobirders- I enjoyed this bright morning birding at the Ukiah
      Sewage Treatment Plant. There was little or no evidence of the recent
      AMERICAN COOT "die-off". In fact the number of dead coots I saw was
      matched by the number of dead RED-TAILED HAWKS: one of each. Two weeks ago
      I saw 15-20 dead coots. There is absolutely no indication that the cholera
      has had a significant impact on their population. There were 5 CANVASBACKS
      (2 m, 3 f) on the south pond. An adult BALD EAGLE was in the cottonwoods
      along the Russian River to the north of the ponds. TREE SWALLOWS have
      arrived in numbers (50+) and they are already exploring tree holes along
      the river. It is great to hear their bubbling chatter again. I saw a
      single VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW mixed in with them. Following Bob Keiffer's
      advice, I drove home via Oak Manor and saw 10-15 BLACK-CROWNED
      NIGHT-HERONS visible in the redwood trees just east of the corners of Pomo
      and Yosemite.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482