RE: [Mendobirds] Brants reported seen today flying north

  • Julie Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
      Yes, we saw both groups northbound this morning also. Approx. 9:30 am, we were looking for birds around a pond at the Sea Ranch Golf Links when we saw and heard high flying loud white geese in loose formation, one group in a very long V, and one shorter and looser V, high over the ocean but closer in to the shore. About thirty minutes later, and further out over the ocean came a very large group of what we thought were Brandt's cormorants flying low and fast, about 10-15 feet, over the water. Seemed oversized for a cormorant though so maybe we saw the Brant geese that Jeanne described in her post. Observed black, long necks, with a white patch at or under the tail. Could not see any other markings as they were quite far out.

      Julie