RE: [Mendobirds] Brants reported seen today flying north

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hi all,

      There are two kinds of small geese migrating north now, Black Brant and
      Aleutian Cackling Geese. Last year there seemed to be about equal numbers of
      the two in April. This early in the year it is more likely that they were
      Aleutians, but some brant are going through as well.

      Just for details sake, it is spelled Brant. Brandt is the name of the man
      after whom the Brandt's Cormorant was named. They could be migrating north
      now too - as we know little about the movements of them!

      Thanks for the report.

      Ron

      Ron LeValley
      Mad River Biologists
      417 Second Street, Suite 201
      Eureka, CA 95501
      Cell: 707/496-3326
      Office: 707/442-4302
      Mendocino Office: 707/937-1742
      Fax: 707/442-4303
      <mailto:ron@...> ron@...

      www.madriverbio.com <http://www.madriverbio.com/>

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        Yes, we saw both groups northbound this morning also. Approx. 9:30 am, we were looking for birds around a pond at the Sea Ranch Golf Links when we saw and heard high flying loud white geese in loose formation, one group in a very long V, and one shorter and looser V, high over the ocean but closer in to the shore. About thirty minutes later, and further out over the ocean came a very large group of what we thought were Brandt's cormorants flying low and fast, about 10-15 feet, over the water. Seemed oversized for a cormorant though so maybe we saw the Brant geese that Jeanne described in her post. Observed black, long necks, with a white patch at or under the tail. Could not see any other markings as they were quite far out.

        Julie