Brants reported seen today flying north

  • jackson_us
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hi Birders,
      Linda Bostwick and Mel Smith of Point Arena reported to me that they
      saw 400 to 500 Brandts just off the coast and headed north this
      morning. I queried Rich Kuehn and he said it would be VERY early for
      them to be seen. Did anyone else see them? Mel is an excellent spotter
      so I don't have reason to doubt. The Brandts were in three groups, in
      loose V's. There was a lot of movement within the groups, as if they
      were trying to find the best formation for flying.
      Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        Hi all,

        There are two kinds of small geese migrating north now, Black Brant and
        Aleutian Cackling Geese. Last year there seemed to be about equal numbers of
        the two in April. This early in the year it is more likely that they were
        Aleutians, but some brant are going through as well.

        Just for details sake, it is spelled Brant. Brandt is the name of the man
        after whom the Brandt's Cormorant was named. They could be migrating north
        now too - as we know little about the movements of them!

        Thanks for the report.

        Ron

        Ron LeValley
        Mad River Biologists
        417 Second Street, Suite 201
        Eureka, CA 95501
        Cell: 707/496-3326
        Office: 707/442-4302
        Mendocino Office: 707/937-1742
        Fax: 707/442-4303
        <mailto:ron@...> ron@...

        www.madriverbio.com <http://www.madriverbio.com/>

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
          Yes, we saw both groups northbound this morning also. Approx. 9:30 am, we were looking for birds around a pond at the Sea Ranch Golf Links when we saw and heard high flying loud white geese in loose formation, one group in a very long V, and one shorter and looser V, high over the ocean but closer in to the shore. About thirty minutes later, and further out over the ocean came a very large group of what we thought were Brandt's cormorants flying low and fast, about 10-15 feet, over the water. Seemed oversized for a cormorant though so maybe we saw the Brant geese that Jeanne described in her post. Observed black, long necks, with a white patch at or under the tail. Could not see any other markings as they were quite far out.

          Julie