Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Feb 4, 2008
      On Saturday the 2nd I found two possible KUMLIEN'S
      ICELAND GULLS (1st-cycle and 2nd-cyle) among the
      hordes of gulls at Redbud Park in Clearlake. I am
      uncertain of the identity of both birds; they could
      well be pale Thayer's (or hybrid Herring X
      Glaucous-winged or Hering X Glaucous, though they
      seemed too small). Photos are posted at:

      www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/icelandgull5
      www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/icelandgull6

      I could not relocate either bird on Sunday the 3rd,
      but tallied my high count of 8 WESTERN GULLS (5
      adults, 3 1st-cycle).

      Also on Saturday there was a male RED-BREASTED
      MERGANSER at Lake Escape Resort, just north of Austin
      Park. Back on 19 January I found a pair of BARROW'S
      GOLDENEYES at Austin Park and briefly glimpsed a
      raptor, possibly a SHORT-EARED OWL, fly low and land
      in a field at dawn at Anderson Marsh (it didn't flush
      when I walked to the spot).

      I last observed the male TUFTED DUCK at Borax Lake on
      January 5. My high count for scaup this year was 875
      on January 12; only 530 were present on February 2.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • stevestump