Fwd: [BirdingCalifornia] AWOL-full bird names

  • Karen Anderson Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- In nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Fowler" <migratoriusfwlr@...>
      wrote:
      See link for context of this posting:
      http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl?rm=one_list;id=83
      Rob Fowler
      Arcata, CA
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Andrew Howe <howe395@...>
      Date: Feb 2, 2008 10:45 AM
      Subject: [BirdingCalifornia] AWOL-full bird names
      To: BirdingCalifornia@yahoogroups.com

      IMHO, banding acronyms belong in one place: banding.
      The potential for a SNAFU is too great, as most of us
      aren't banders (it's not in our DNA), and haven't
      memorized the long list of codes, which don't always
      correspond to the first two letters of each word.

      For instance, both Prothonotary and Prairie Warblers
      are routinely referenced as PRWA. There are fewer
      than 20 Cerulean Warbler records for the state, but
      flocks of CEWA are regularly reported. Once during
      Y2K, when a poster only reported one such Cedar
      Waxwing, I frantically packed the car for an emergency
      chase trip; I nearly had to be given CPR when we
      figured out the truth.

      The identity of the bird is usually the single most
      important piece of information in a post; birders need
      this information ASAP, without having to hunt down
      their NG guides to look in the index (and if you're at
      work, you're SOL--PMF).

      The claim of conciseness is mostly BS (PMF), as other
      posting practices don't bear out the brevity thesis.
      For instance, very few response messages are trimmed
      properly, using up archive space at double the rate.
      Consequently, there are only three banding acronyms I
      support in general usage: SORA, SMEW, and RUFF.
      Everything else is just too confusing. To quote
      Richard Webster: "LABU should be taboo."

      Finally, and I believe as if the following is the most
      important piece of information in this entire post, so
      please take it to heart: DFTTOTGOWN!

      LOL,

      AH (Andrew Howe, not Adolf Hitler)
      Riverside, CA